Friday, August 23, 2013

3rd week in Hungary! (August 19th)

How cool is it that you are getting an email from so far away?! And such a great place as Hungary! :)
Well, the work is... work! It isn't progressing quite as fast as I'd like.. (right now we have 1 investigator: Szabolcs. And he seems to be much more interested in the English part of the lessons than the gospel parts..) Which means we do a lot of finding, tracting streeting tabling and the like, and spent lots of time getting rejected.. But it has only made us that much more creative! We are thinking up new ways to talk to people about the gospel everyday! It is never easy, but it is so worth it!
As for the exciting news for this week... Well, I learned something interesting about the Hungarians that I didn't know before the last two weeks.. They HATE air conditioning. And it's a little more humid here than I am used to, and the temperatures in the last few weeks have been pushing 46 C, which is almost 115 F.. Yeah, it has been warm. Which isn't a huge deal, because I've lived through that before. But only through the miracle of A/C. And then to go inside a Hungarian home, or even the church building, and to feel no A/C.... what in the world?! Needless to say, it has been a lot of sweating on my part... 
I also had a close encounter with death this week. Relax relax, I'm kidding. Well, it felt like I was close to death anyway. Basically I have allergies, and pretty generic, so when the pollen is in the air, I sneeze, get runny eyes and nose when there's a lot of dust. And I' allergic to cats. For a big part of my life, I wondered how true that was, that I was allergic to cats. But there is a member here (long story short, she is an older American lady named Donna who is basically disabled) who has a cat. We go there with investigators who want to learn English and gospel, so we have a member present lesson. Which are actually really good with her! Until about 15 minutes in, my nose decided to start to run a marathon in my face, and turns my face into a human faucet-with the water on full pressure. And then I'm sneezing and it is just all around bad. Well, we spent the last few days there, to visit her and bringing investigators. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't spend 2 and a half hours there with her and investigators! Basically 2 nights ago, I woke up several times in the night and couldn't fall asleep because of the constant flow of mucus. I do apologize for the graphics, but it was a lot more painful than I could paint a picture through words.. 
And now that I am finished complaining! :) Off to a really cool part: one of the lessons we had (thankfully in English! I could actually understand what was going on! haha) we taught about faith. This was a lesson that we didn't know we were teaching until a few hours before, when Donna called and said she wanted us to talk to one of her friends who used to be an investigator and she felt like he might want to hear from the missionaries again. Anyway, that morning, I was studying... you guessed it: faith. It was such a powerful experience, because I was able to utilize so effectively my personal study from that morning. At the end of the lesson I bore simple testimony that I know faith is so important in this life. We can find so much peace and happiness when we have and act upon our faith. And it was so amazing to use what I had learned fom the scriptures to help another of God's children. I know that we actually study, instead of just reading, the scriptures, we will see miracles in our lives. And I encourage you all to have a focus in your next scripture study. 

Well, I do apologize for the ridiculous length today. But if you don't wanna read all that READ THIS!: God lives and loves us. And I am so grateful for that knowledge. 

Sok sok szeretettel,
Flake Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment